The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Preston Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” reports Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article called Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to open an article! It continues:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone a year
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US exceeding $3.5 trillion - $10,739 a person – it is no wonder that insurers look for another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money is spent for hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Chiropractic Associates is well-trained and confident in offering non-hospital-based care to help Preston back pain – chronic and acute – patients get relief of and manage their back pain – as well as post-surgical continued back pain - non-surgically.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the leading reason of years lived with disability globally. Today, recommendations for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems are apt to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These thoughts are shared in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Chiropractic Associates reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

In light of these facts, it is not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will choose back surgery over non-surgical management of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to visit a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor initially because of their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Changing these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type could encourage low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment instead of back surgery. (4) Chiropractic Associates likes this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers must have back surgery. (5) Chiropractic Associates is ready to assist the remaining 99% of the Preston back pain sufferers cope with their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to live with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

Preston back pain sufferers are in good company if their back pain comes back. It happens. It is controllable. It is manageable. Some data first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients had another episode of back pain of some sort. What risks prompt a recurrence of back pain? Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences. (6) It is ok though. Really! Chiropractic Associates helps Preston back pain patients navigate these recurrences and manage them so they do not limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Chiropractic Associates

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you are pregnant or not, Preston chiropractic care at Chiropractic Associates can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a Preston chiropractic appointment at Chiropractic Associates for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Chiropractic Associates notes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."