Spine pain is a leading cause of pain and disability worldwide mired in a crisis of rising costs and poorer outcomes. This presents a global challenge.
A solution is a first-contact PSP who:
- Sees the patient as soon as possible.
- Screens for red flags requiring urgent medical care.
- Performs a history and examination reaching a diagnosis.
- In most cases further tests, imaging or referral is not necessary.
- Explains the diagnosis in easy to understand terms using models and illustrations.
- Provides education on self-care including posture, ergonomics, exercises.
- If necessary, provides appropriate treatment.
- Supports care with motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioural therapy and acceptance commitment therapy in the context of care.
- In most cases this is all that is needed, but if further tests, imaging or referral is needed the PSP organizes this and follows up care.
This reduces the work-load of the GP and results in lower cost and better patient outcomes.
Jeff Shurr, Director of Chiropractic Associates, is a certified PSP. He qualified with the first cohort of the University of Pittsburgh in December 2018. Our clinic integrates the PSP model into our services to provide you with the highest quality care.